Monday, January 19, 2009

Marley & Marly

Mark and I were very fortunate to get my Dad to come babysit on Saturday night. We were itching to get out ALONE, and itching to sit in a dark movie theater and relax together. The only movie option that interested us playing at a conducive time was "Marley and Me." Anything heavy or disheartening was out of the running. We wanted a show that was substance free and simple. "Marley and Me" fit the playbill.

So, that leads me to 'Marley' the dog. Everyone reading my blog knows my daughter has the same name, with a slight variation in spelling. Most of you know my 'Marly' is NOT named after a dog in a best selling book or box office hit movie. My daughter is also NOT named after the famous Jamaican reggae artist for whom the dog is named. Occasionally, strangers have asked if Marly is named after Bob Marley. Mostly, this makes me smile. Do I look like a woman who would name their daughter after a man whose name is synonymous with pot? Not so much. Do I smell like patchouli? Not so much. Do I like Bob Marley? Sure! The man is a musical GENIOUS!I own a CD I purchased in college. But, our dear little 'Marly' is named after my mom, minus an 's'. (Which most of you already know!)

Actually, Mark and I decided before we ever got married, if we had a daughter, she would bear this name. The desicion on the name came prior to any discussion to actually reproduce. So, there you have it....

This past Christmas my Dad gave the Twinners a card. Scrawled in his classic, neat, beautiful, textbook style cursive writing was, "Dean and Marlys". Old habits die hard. Really, it just makes me think Marly's namesake is floating amongst us more often then we ever realize.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails