Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Etiquette and Manners and Correspondence

Just to ramble a bit...

I swear, I encounter bad etiquette and bad manners on a constant, continual basis - often via e mail, texting or communicating in an electronic fashion. Why aren't people teaching their offspring of any age to be polite, gracious, and considerate, in our high tech era?

I find bad manners and etiquette to be frustrating in my personal and professional life. Really, so many people are self centered or rude and don't even recognize it. E mail or text perpetuates this, as it reduces the need to communicate directly, while providing a way to respond immediately. (I am NOT referring to ANY of my friends, family, or co workers by the way!) To combat my disappointment in other people's actions, I try and give more or recipricate with GOOD etiquette (part of my Gratitude Groove actually). I attempt to react with kindness. Sometimes this works, sometimes not.

The other day I was discouraged in someone else's innappropriate actions. As a reaction or distraction, I worked on correspondence/snail mail to friends and family. The correspondence was NOT related to the actual bad etiquette I encountered, yet I felt fulfilled by my own actions...working on my own etiquette. I sent out 4 birthday cards (each one was LATE), two thank you notes, and one "I am thinking of you" note to someone I should have sent something to a long time ago. With the use of text and e mails, the fine art of correspondance is quickly disappearing, with the current method of choice (e mail/text) providing many opportunities for BAD etiquette, where emotion is lost or misinterperted.

The thing is, physical correspondence is so meaningful and appreciated when received. It takes time to write a letter or note by hand, and thought to put words on paper.

This message was reinforced to me with the correspondence I received yesterday and am THANKFUL for. It was a New Year's letter. I loved getting this belated Christmas greeting and photo card. The sender had taken time to include a personal message just for me (Nicole - Thank your mom please!). When I opened it, I was in the midst of cleaning up supper. I stopped what I was doing and sat down in the middle of my kitchen floor to read, and give the wonderful letter my full attention. Truly, this snail mail correspondence was a highlight in my day. I rejoice in the simple pleasures I receive.

I will admit, this whole post is bit willy nilly, and not as well written as I would like.. but hopefully my point remains...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love handwritten notes and cards. I have a little box that holds letters from my grandma and others. To see something in their writting is a treasure. Especially from those we no longer have with us.

Our kids write out thank you's and have their own stationary.

I think it is a lost art.

Thank You for the note you sent ME.

Love Cindy

britta said...

I love handwritten messages too!

This summer when I participated in the Arthritis Walk, I sent out 40 postcards with a picture of me on one side with a handmade "Thank You" sign I was holding, and on the other side I wrote more than just "thank you!" I really wanted everyone to realize that I truly appreciated their effort in my efforts! Granted it took me like 3 months to get them done....I still did it!

Heck, I am so crazy that sometimes I refuse to put on the sticky return address on the envelope just because I enjoy writing out my name and address!

love, britta :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails