Monday, June 30, 2008

Tracy Melberg's Bridal Shower

This weekend I made two trips home in two days. Saturday I left the house solo at 7:30 AM to head out to Tracy's bridal shower at First Lutheran Church in Hector. It was a nice morning, reminiscent of the countless showers various aunts have thrown for ALL of us nieces (and which occurred the generation before us I assume). The event started at 9:30 with a short program of Bible verses and stories read by individuals from Tracy's generation. It was followed by a lunch of desserts, fruit and homemade mints served by the aunts. Tracy's Grandma Lou's silver coffee service was used. Like all the showers of ALL the nieces (or nephew's wives) held in this exact same church basement, Tracy graciously and efficiently opened the many gifts given by well wishers from the church, the community, friends and family. Also a tradition, Tracy received a card table and chairs from her hostesses. For those non-family member readers, I think you are already realizing my family is steeped with unwritten traditions. The traditions may seem ordinary and commonplace as milemarkers for each of us in the family. Then I realize they are certainly not ordinary at all. As a family clan, we are blessed for the things we have grown to expect as commonplace - such as the church basement shower. Rather, this event is extraordinary.

On behalf of all of the nieces, our THANKS to our beloved Aunt's. You prove yourself special people in our lives.

Marly & Dean did not attend with me. I do regret not bringing my dear little Marly, to introduce her to a part of her family culture. Because we had a family reunion back in Buffalo Lake the next day, I opted not to bring the toddler twins. On my return journey along Highway 212, passing the usual ordinary visual milemarkers I cruise by regularly, I contemplated the next generation, new traditions which may unfold, and old ones which could fade away....



Barb and Tracy Melberg

Wishing you all the best Tracy and Tim!
We can't wait until your wedding in August!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails