Wednesday, June 25, 2008

15 Month Check Up!

Today Marly & Dean had their 15 month check up. Last night I was writing this blog in my head, anticipating a DISASTER. I had decided I could take them on my own, since Mark is back to work. Mark has taken 2 kids to a Dr. appointment for ONE of the children on several occasions while I worked. I decided I could handle the check up if he could handle the Dr. on his own. Every other well baby visit, we have attended together.

Last night and this morning I was feeling like the DUMBEST twin mommy ever. A clinic appointment for ONE sick kid is different then undressing two kids, and wrangling and comforting two kids with shots. What was I thinking??? Plus, they are now completely mobile. Oh CRAP!

This morning I got up early and got myself ready before Dean & Marly woke. When they did, I feed them, dressed them, and was out the door on schedule. I am VERY particular about getting OUT THE DOOR at EXACTLY the time planned. I NEED a timeline if I am leaving the house alone with Marly and Dean for scheduled activities, simply to create a comfort zone for myself and feel a sense of accomplishment. Once they were strapped into their still rear facing car seats, I grabbed my beloved Duoglide and tossed her in the back. That poor stroller takes a beating from me!

We arrive at the clinic, I unload the stroller, and act Cool as a Cucumber. I have decided this is the ticket with Marly & Dean. If I am a Cool Mama, they behave like Cool Be'bes! I don't want them to feed off of my anxiety. Anyway, we glide inside - Cool Mama, Cool Be'bes! We check in and head to pediatrics. In the waiting room, we disembark from the Duoglide and the kids happily play with the germy clinic toys. We get called back, and Cool Mama picks up Marly while Dean tots by my side, hand in hand. Today we are seeing a new pediatrician. Our adored Dr. W-H is on bed rest. She is expecting twins herself at the end of July.

Anyway, Marly & Dean are so good to me as the nurse goes through her drills. They enjoy peek a boo round and round and round the exam table. Dean plays with the stirrup things on the table ...oops he pinched his finger, and we have a brief bout of tears. (Take it in stride Cool Mama....). It has just occured to me (hours later) most mommies probably don't let their kids play/lay on the clinic floor, or touch the stirrups! Oh Crap - BAD Cool Mama! The Dr. visit goes well. I really like this new pediatrician too. She is very young and new, has a great demeanor, and is currently easy to get in with since she is young and new! When I ask, she tells me the wonderful and adored Dr. W-N is doing MUCH BETTER now that she is resting at home. Her babies remain safe inside.

Shots also go well. Marly is her typical no cry tough girl. Dean lets out only brief wails. No tramas. Mama remains a Cool Cucumber, so they remain Cool Be'bes. I dress them, head out, and schedule a follow up appointment. Marly and Dean are calm and quite. I begin to load up the Duoglide. Marly will NOT sit in the stroller - wiggle wiggle out, with screams. Those shots/pain are kicking in. I hold Marly, push Dean, and hit the handicap button to open the office door. Oops - Marly is wriggling/screaming and I can't get out the door in time. HIT that handicap button again! As I hold/push, Marly's sobs begin to subside. I am a Cool Cucumber as I pass the new mommies in the hall with their singleton infants in carriers. I see the look of "how does she do it" pass over their faces. Cool Mama! Just try and stay a Cool Cucumber...

We all do what we can. I really hope my kids didn't pick up any super strains of some nasty infection from the exam room floor or from when Dean was pawing the computer keyboard when he climbed up the bench and leaned onto the Dr's station while I had Marly at the exam table. (You all are thinking I am totally incompetent right now....)

Marly & Dean remain healthy with good dispositions. I sensed no apprehension in my mothering skills or their care from the Dr. (who watched them play on the floor). Just as they have since 6 weeks old, Marly & Dean are the same weight as each other - currently 22 pounds. Also the same since birth, Dean is two inches taller. Don't ask me their percentiles. I pay little attention to those numbers. I do pay attention to their growth charts, which are healthy and steady.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A, you are a great mom and did swimmingly at the appointment! I firmly believe that germs are a good thing, so think of it as building up their immunity.

We had a nine-month appointment yesterday, too, and Cale was affectionately referred to as a "little slug" by our pediatrician as he is 23 pounds and WON'T CRAWL. Can I trade in your light movers for my heavy singleton? :)
HHB

MollyinMinn said...

if there is a cool as a cucumber momma out there, it is most definitely you!

molly

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails