Monday, June 23, 2008

Class of 1993 Reunites


This past weekend I attended my 15 year class reunion. The best way to capture the memories and sentiments is to use a timeline. Go ahead and laugh at my trivial apprehensions for the event, but I suspect YOU may have had similar feeling about your own reunions!

Fall 2007 - Cindy Koenig (my childhood best friend) & I comment it is nearly time for our 15 year high school reunion from BL-H. We both agree we are happy with our lives, families, and accomplishments and are eager to see others from our class.

March 2008 - Classmates receive a Save the Date e-mail. I immediately e-mail Cindy wondering about wardrobe!

May - We get the official E-vite and I quickly respond (and wonder about my wardrobe). I line up my cousin Michelle Paulson to babysit Marly and Dean.

June - I check the E-vite regularly to see who is attending (and wonder about my wardrobe). I e-mail w/ Cindy, Becky Mueller and Michelle Rosenue.

Friday Evening, June 20th - I test out various clothing options, call Cindy, and finally have Mark assist me in my ensemble, testing various shoes and accessories for the afternoon at the park , and the change of clothes for the bar. (((Yes - I am your usual high school reunion attending female and VERY concerned about my attire.)))

Saturday at 12:30 - I click Marly & Dean into their car seats and head to Hector. Their attire is coordinating Gymborie. Mark has to work, plus his foot is broken. Perfect out for the spouse's class reunion.

2:15 pm - I arrive at the park. I cannot decide if I recognize anyone, so I cruise to Mike and Laura Melberg's for a bathroom break. Yes, I am too nervous to pull up with out seeing someone from my comfort zone!

2:40 pm - I head back to the park and pull in along with Michelle Rosenau and family. Busted - Missy Sowder (maiden) saw me drive by the first time. I totally admit I did! I enjoy seeing my classmates with their kids.

5:15 pm - Head to Mike and Laura's to change, then bring Marly & Dean to Chad and Michelle's. I am staying the night at Mike's and have reserved the guest bed. Laura serves me a glass of wine (or two) to prep me for the evening event and calm my class reunion jitters. Seriously, I am accomplished - I should feel confident in myself right??? My hair and fashion sense have come a long way since '93 too! Never mind I may have been a bit of a nerd/goody goody back then. I was/am really nice!

6:45 pm - Arrive at the Other Place bar for the class reunion. I am all smiles and much less nervous then when I pulled into the park the first time. I pay my ten bucks and get my first $1 tap beer. The event is outside on the lawn with a live one-man-band and burger/brat bar. Perfect set up for a 15 year reunion. One of my classmates is now married to the proprietor.

7:20 pm - Still accessing my own outfit (and what else I could/should have worn) and wishing I had chosen different shoes! Enjoy chatting and catching up with others. Certainly noticing how some of us look very much the same, while others have changed - which of course anyone would expect.

8:15 pm - Enjoy my first jello shot with Mary Kay Olinger (maiden) and husband Dave. Lael (wonderful event planner) and the other planners had made 150 jello shots and were totting them around in a wheely cooler. Pick your color!

Later on - The cousins crew of Melberg's arrive (Brett, Rachel, Mike, Laura, Matt, Shylah, etc). They were all at my ten year too. I will Blog about my 'cousins crew' some other time. Of course, Brad Melberg is my classmate and already there with LeAnn.

(((God I love what my small town means to me! You can take the girl out of the country, but don't try and take the country out of Andrea. It is probably important to note I graduated with 56 kids, and we had a very respectable turn out at the reunion.)))

Later still - Talking and more talking, with everyone moving amongst each other. Sarah Renstrom (maiden) has become the class historian and is taking plenty of pictures. I have Brett's camera (he tots it every where). He tells me if it is in my hands I better use it! Perhaps you will see a separate post with photos later this week.

1 am??? - Everyone is partying like rock stars. It is way to early to call it a night for the class of '93. Brett (NOT a classmate) negotiates a price and hires the one-man-band to play at the after bar that is soon to occur at Mike's house.

1:45??? - Basically everyone in the bar walks several blocks to Mike's (Also NOT part of the class of 1993. No it doesn't matter.)

3:30 am???? - Sarah is still taking LOTS of pictures. The town cop arrives to ask that the NEXT song the one-man-band plays be the LAST song. I think I am sitting on a cooler of beer. Not sure where that came from. Someone maybe wheeled it from the bar?

3:45 am??? - The juke box takes the place of the one-man-band.

4:30 am??? - The last of the guests are departing. Laura Melberg has finally stirred from upstairs. Laura had been resting. She needed to leave the bar a bit earlier then closing time. Amazing, baby Will has stayed asleep upstairs until this point.

Sunday morning - Believe it or not, my last name is still Melberg, and I have actually drank responsibly. I pick up Marly & Dean at Chad and Michelle's. I enjoyed recapping the evening with classmate Angie Paulson (maiden) and her husband. Angie is Chad's little sister and spent the night (early morning hours...) in a tent outside. Only in a small town right!

Monday - Classmates are busy e-mailing about what a GREAT event our 15 year was! One person already mentioned Hector Days as the post reunion party. I wish I had more photos to share. Check back - it could be interesting once I gather some.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ugh, I think I have finally recovered from your class reunion! (I haven't so much as even thought of having a drink yet, which is very out of character for me!) Also, we were planning on having a Hector Days Party!!!!

Thanks again for all of your help! (I found the tickets in the trash.)

Laura

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails