Thursday, May 22, 2008

Missing Memorial Day Memories

It is almost Memorial Day. It is almost the 8th anniversary of my mom's death occuring the Thursday after. This Memorial Day, I plan to head to the country and cemetery with the babes. Mark has to work. I hope to see family.

This morning I woke... and realized I could NOT remember the details of Memorial Day 2000. I was 25 and working at KSTP TV as the weekend assignment editor. My days off were Monday and Tuesday. I know I came home, and I think it was Sunday afternoon. I think Jared Walter was home and there was a BBQ at Carol's house. I think Dad and I may have went to the cemetery on Monday morning. I think it may have been rainy and Carol was with us, but I am NOT SURE.

I remember mom and dad were contemplating a cabin for us at the time. I remember they use to drive about looking at lakes. I THINK, Toot's came over and we drove around, maybe to Lake Minnebelle. I just don't know, and this is distressing to me. I THINK we all may have went to DQ in Hutch. I think we may have had supper at home first.

On Tuesday, I do know I headed back to the cities. While in the driveway at home, I remember thinking what a nice Memorial Day it had been, seeing lots of family. Right before leaving, I went pilfering through the closet for toilet paper and loaded it in my car. Mom saw, didn't say a word, and simply asked, "Do you want some tooth paste?" Yes... I was 25 and stealing my parents TP. I remember my mom following up by somehow expressing how proud she was of Brett and I. Brett had just graduated from St. Cloud State. He had survived his crazy teens. What a blessing!

Anyway, they are powerful, emotional memories... but they are fading....The last days and moments I spent with my mom....

Dear God, please let her be an angel watching over my beautiful Marly and Dean.

If you can help me with details, please feel free to comment. Without an account, you should be able to do so by using "anonymous" when you post. You then need to type in the security code number/letter.

Wishing you pleasant memories of family both departed and with us this Memorial Day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember you were home shortly before your mom passed. Like normal I called over and said is Andrea there. Your mom would scream Andrea it is Cindy. She asked about Katelyn and me. I was pregnant with Kalvin. I think we you came over. Then it was just a few days later when my mom called and told me about your mom.

Your mom was so great. Letting us stay up late, the endless hours on the phone. The BEST popcorn. She always listened to young tastfull music. We always new where to find her if we were out because of how she would snap her gum.

We would always see your parents in Hutch.

Remember when our families went for pizza a few times.

Love Cindy

Anonymous said...

Thank You for stopping on Memorial Day.

Mike was so jealous he did not get to see the kids.

You made our weekend.

Love Cindy

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails