Friday, May 16, 2008

Donation Registry - Recycle Yourself Please!

I think most of you know I have a passion for donation, as in Recycle Yourself! I advocate and promote the donation of organ & tissue, blood, cord blood, and marrow. I got caught up in donation after my mom became a tissue donor with the Red Cross. After cardiac death, she helped save or enhance the lives of at least 47 people with her gift of things like skin, bones, heart valves and other tissues. When I learned about what this gift meant, I began volunteering as a public speaker for the Red Cross. Eventually, I became an employee. After the Red Cross Tranpslantation Services was sold, I went back to being a volunteer for the group who took over their services.

Outside of tissue donation, I advocate blood donation and etc. I personally cannot give blood because I lived in England during the period of the Mad Cow disease scare. I also advocate cord blood donation upon the birth of a baby. I tried to donate Marly and Dean's cord blood, but was unable to find an organization who would work with multiple births.

Why am I writing about this for heaven's sake???? I have just signed on to the National Marrow Donor Program. I have been meaning to do so for years. If I am a match, my bone marrow might be used to help treat someone with cancer or another potentially deadly disease. There is often a cost involved in the registry because some sort of DNA test is needed to make matches. Until SUNDAY, it is FREE to register yourself. Simply fill out a 20 mn questionnaire on line and then they send you the DNA swab to send back.

YOU CAN SIGN UP FREE TOO! Here is the link...

http://www.marrow.org/HELP/Join_the_Donor_Registry/index.html

1 comment:

britta said...

Ergggh, it is times like this when I hate my arthritis, because I totally get into this kind of donating things and other things too...anyways, it says I can't, because mine is spine involved/limits daily activities/aka in your spine, requires lots of pre-evaluation. DANG! I would so love to be a donate-er...
I did donate blood once in 2005 but haven't since. Anyways...thanks for the info!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails