Tuesday, April 5, 2011

The Crystal Ball

In case you were wondering where I have been, I have been putting my heart and soul into 'The Crystal Ball', the charity gala fundraiser for the Mercy & Unity Hospitals Foundation. When I took this job in November, I knew I would be the lead on the Ball. My boss said to "own it", and I think I did just that. We made many major, new changes to the event in its 10th year - a brand new venue, major program changes, and a "Crash the Ball" post event party with a separate ticketing method and price. Well - After just four and a 1/2 months on the job, Saturday arrived. My "baby" was delivered. Now that it is said and done, I am very happy with the outcome, and truly proud of myself. I spent a lot of time worrying. I spent a lot of time wondering. I spent a lot of time researching. I spent of lot of time doubting myself. I spent a lot of time thinking I would not be able to accomplish it all. I feared dissappointing the Crystal Ball committee, my co-workers, and those who quickly had become dear to me at my new job (and were also working VERY hard).
The day of the event began at the Northland Inn at 9:45 on Saturday. There was a team of volunteers on hand to set up. At 3:40 pm, I raced up to my hotel room to change. I ran back down in dress and heels at 4:05 to begin AV checks and to meet the emcee. Here I am (above) at the beginning of the evening with my co-worker, Kenna. I teased and sprayed the crap out of my hair since I forgot my curling iron at home, and generously sprayed myself with perfume, since there was no time to shower again. The theme was "Diamonds, Denim and Dancing".

One of my favorite parts of the evening (above) was a chance to win a diamond in a champagne glass for $25. The sparking wine was custom bottled and labelled for us by one of our supporters who owns MT Global Wines. It was one of many fun parts of the project for me.

The silent auction had over 150 items on it. Although we had less items then last year, we made MORE money. After dinner and program (with videos I helped produce), there was also a live auction. The event was mostly a sell out, and 560 guests showed up for dinner.

Finally, there was the "Crash" with a live band. I returned to my room at about 1:30 am. I didn't go straight to bed though. First I soaked my soar toesies in the whirlpool tub. Mark volunteered at the event, and Kelly had the Twinners, so we got to sleep in before brunch at the hotel on Sunday.

It is Tuesday now. The stress has been lifted, the exhaustion is subsiding, I am slowly catching up around the house... and the glorious feeling of knowing you succeeded is sinking in. We discovered just this morning we had EXCEEDED our overall goal for the event. I gave the Crystal Ball my everything. That is who I am.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Andrea, to a job well done! We, your extended family, are all so proud of you. Joey


Related Posts with Thumbnails