Tuesday, February 10, 2009

February 2007

The Twinners are fast approaching their second birthday and I am already getting sentimental. In the weeks ahead, you may find me posting my pregnancy and birth thoughts to preserve them before the memories fade.

For the past two years on Super Bowl Sunday, I have taken time to reflect on my status three years prior. Three Super Bowl's ago, Mark and I watched the game with the Huwe's, at Dan's parent's house in Shoreview. His parents were in Mexico and Gretchen and Dan were house-sitting. Martin was not even two months old. At the time, I was about 34 weeks pregnant and making clinic visits twice a week. Each baby weighed an estimated 5 pounds. I was in great spirits (I think?!?), but I was tired and I was big. That evening, I started to cry to Gretchen that I didn't think I could work anymore. I was bound and determined I would work until Dr. E told me I could not. At my weekly visits, Dr E would say, "Let me know when you want a note for work." I always resisted.

The Monday after the Super Bowl I made my regular clinic visit. Dr. E walked into the exam room and asked me how I was. He looked at my blood pressure. Even though tears were welling up in my eyes, I responded (in what I thought was a determined voice), "I am fine!" He looked at me and said, "How about you be done with work ... TODAY." With a meeker voice, I said, "yes...." The real truth was I was exhausted. Naturally, I could not get comfortable to sleep at night. Like many pregnant women on many nights, I would lay there on the edge of pain quietly sobbing.

The rest of the clinic appointment was uneventful. We again discussed the planned c-section, but set no date. Mark helped me and my huge belly on and off the exam table. I went back to work (even though I don't think this was my doctors intent), parked in the front lot with my special pregnancy pass, and waddled into my boss Darlis's office with my Dr's note. She looked at it, smiled, and said, "I have been waiting for this note since Christmas!" All my co-workers seemed almost excited to see me go. I suspect I had appeared quite uncomfortable for quite a while, or perhaps they thought I was going to go into labor in my cube. I spent nearly a full 8 hours at Gillette before making my final departure.

I spent the month of February resting on the couch. I was not on bed rest, and thought I would get bored, which was not the case. I slept a lot, went to my clinic visits, finished up my pregnancy yoga classes twice a week at Mercy Hospital, and found outings to simple places like Target (always with Mark's arm to guide and support me) to be enough excitement for one day.

February of 2007 was a restful, sleep filled month for me. I was excited for the life changing experience just around the corner. I will tell you I became a much happier pregnant person once the physical strain of working was removed. Truth be told, I did not nest, or clean closests or cupboards, or cook meals in advance. Mark on the other hand, organized every closet, sometimes at 3 AM!

Looking back, I wish could have banked some of those 'ZZZ's for the last two years!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails