Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Red Headed CVS-er

You know there is a phenomenon called CVS-ing. There are individuals out there who use coupons, rebates, discounts, websites, circular deals, store discount cards, etc. to get a mass of merchandise at a ridiculously low price. One of the places these individuals get great deals is CVS Pharmancy (CVS-ing), as well as Walgreen's, or even Target. One of those individuals is my friend Mary M. She has a blog where she sometimes highlights her super buys.

I have this mental image of Mary as she enters Wal-green's armed with her notes/list, store map?, and appropriate coupons selected from her three-ring binder system and acquired from the Sunday paper, various web sites ,and who knows where else. I picture her gliding through the sliding doors, and stealthy grabbing the cart as the Mission Impossible music begins to play. You all may be chuckling at the picture I paint, but check out her blog and what she pays for this stuff. I swear, someday the cashier is going to hand her CASH back with her purchases. Shopping is like a conquest!

Anyway, I will NEVER have these kinds of skills in retail... but I do find a deal or two.

If you know me, you know I am a natural red head. Yeah RIGHT...unless 15 years of Loreal Performing Preference makes you "natural". Well, it is no secret I color my hair. My mom made me a convert a week before I went off to college as a freshman. I wanted a change! She colored my hair, and it came out blond-ish. I HATED it. She changed it to red the same night. I have been a red head ever since! God bless Marlys the cosmetologist (always armed with a scissors!). Word has it she was the best back-comber in town! If you don't know what that means, ask someone with grey hair who gets it "set" once a week. When I travelled to England to study abroad (three years into my stint as a red head), mom equipped me with 6 boxes of Performing Preference to keep my short locks a uniform color from root to tip while living across the pond! Thus began my do-it yourself color jobs while living in the Alnwick Castle.

Okay... back to the present here Andrea....

I think I color my hair for less then $66 a year TOTAL. Maybe I am frugal after all! Yes... it is true - I was CVS-ing on my drive into work the other morning (no extra gas used for an errand!). I stopped in with my Extra Care Card in hand and three manufacturer coupons. The card provided me with the discounted box price of $6.99. My coupons provided an addition $2.00 off per box. According to my CVS receipt, I saved $15.00 on my three boxes. (I think you have to stock up and buy in multiples to officially be a CVS-er.) Not only do I for-go the cost of the salon, but I NEVER buy my hair color at full price. Call me cheap!

1 comment:

Mary in MN said...

Wow Andrea, that's great!!! I am in the midst of a big decision regarding my hair. I always get highlights, but it so very expensive... like 70.00 a pop!! Yikes. Anyways, I'm seriously considering trying a highlighting kit. I think Tim or my Mom would do it for me. What do you think? All my friends say to stick with the professional highlight, but honestly, it's all bleach, right? And I put that stuff on my head, yuck!

Hope all is well and it was good to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails