Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Playing Hooky!

Last Tuesday Gretchen and I played hooky, took PTO, and enjoyed an encore performance of 'Jane Eyre' at the Guthrie Theater. I have read the book at least three or four times, and studied it in an English course while in England. I thoroughly enjoyed the adaption of the novel. I was excited by the anticipation of knowing what would happen next on stage. After the 10:30 AM performance we had lunch at the nearby Spoon River. My delicious vegetarian bake was neatly complimented by one well mixed, perfectly garnished Bloody Mary. We had a lovely time.

Seriously, what a great way to spend a week day! Neither of us had any cause for the guilt that would occur if we were to leave our husbands and kids on a Saturday to enjoy a show. Our kids didn't know the difference. Our job duties were still there for us on Wednesday. We purchased the tickets just the week before, and I am so glad we did.

Sometimes I find the less I plan ahead, the more fun (less anxiety?) I may have. There is a knack to finding just the right balance of planned versus free time, with all the important people and groups we want to share our time with. I am well aware I will contemplate this more and more as my babes grow. Gretchen and I tried to see this performance last fall. The stress of finding a workable date became too much, and we never went.

Sometimes I achieve just the balance I desire with Mark, my children, my family, and my friends in one weekend or day. Sometimes I am overbooked and overwhelmed, with only myself to blame. Then I find those days with nothing 'planned', and become fearful I am 'missing out' on something or somebody. When the sun has set, I usually haven't missed anything at all. I am sure most (or all) of us struggle with balance. I guess it is how we handle it that matters most. Some days I am successful, and some days... not so much.

Last Tuesday was a success.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You said it perfectly and good for you!

Love Cindy

britta said...

Every blog I read of yours, makes me want to start blogging more and more! I have started a few blogs, but none have gotten very far...so maybe, one of these days I will pull it back together, and start writing again. You make me want to write something about how good things are in life, even when things get us down! Love ya...
britta

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails