Friday, July 24, 2009

Vacation Post #5 - Vacation Family Value

Growing up, my parents made a priority of a family vacation. I don't recall a year we didn't go SOMEWHERE in the summer. Most often, we headed up to the North Shore and the Lutsen area. Many years, we stayed at the same resort, in the same town home. The resort has changed names three times since we started going. Today it is called Caribou Highland Village.

I recall being young and going to the Alexandria area one year. Sometimes it was our immediate family only. Often we headed off with Barb and Charlie Melberg and the gang, or we took my cousin Kris along. One summer we visited the Dakota's and some cousins there, another summer we went to Gull Lake. My parents made these vacations age appropriate, so that even as teens, we may have initially resented the idea, but surely had a good time. In fact the winter of my senior year, we went to Hawaii.

After my mom died, and Brett and I were in our 20's, my Dad took us to Italy (including Rachel who was Brett's fiance at the time). I know, that is pretty cool and very generous! Obviously he was not letting go of a family vacation. Two summers ago we went to the Iron Range and Biwabick (Brett's pick!). Really, it is my Dad's belief and dedication to family (no matter the change in make up) that comes shining through. THANK GOD my dad still values a family vacation!!!!

Now I have my own children, and have had a WONDERFUL family vacation again. THANK YOU Dad!

What do I remember about family vacations in childhood??? - being together, hiking, doing touristy stuff, dining, driving, simply being together, maybe playing a board game on a rainy day, making choices on our activities together, waking up calm, going to bed tired, swimming, and knowing there was more to come the next day. Anyway who knows me has probably had to listen to too many family vacation stories. Do you see a theme here?

Here is what our week long family vacation was NOT about - mowing the lawn, folding laundry, going off to work, worrying about a schedule, worrying about or planning social activities, and on and on and on.

That is the point - on vacation, you get AWAY. You are free of many household responsibilities. You FOCUS ON FAMILY. There is FUN to be had, memories to be made, and stories to then tell! I loved our childhood family vacation(although I remember in elementary feeling car sick every year on the ride to Duluth). I love my family vacations NOW! I absolutely know Marly and Dean already love family vacations. It was so evident every leisurely morning when they woke up in our cabin in Hawyard, with Daddy and Mommy ready to start their day and spend it all together.

This photo is at the cabin check out as we departed on Friday. I can't wait until next year. If you have a family, please consider the value and importance of a true vacation if at all possible. You can't get the time back and you won't regret it! It is not so much about the destination (both Rome and Hibbing provided many memories), as it is the time you spend together. As you may conclude, I am very emotional about this, and am not sure how to convey this successfully, but I will say I sure am lucky!!!

Marly and Dean eating Smarty suckers from the little resort shop. I had fogetton how good those were!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said my dear friend. I agree with everything and an escape from reality with ones family is a true delight!

Love Cindy

britta said...

Wooo for the Iron Range....but let me help you here...it's spelled Biwabik. Yeah I know, we have confusing spellings up here!!!!

:-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails