Monday, March 16, 2009

Magical Moments

Yesterday Mark and I and the kids visited the Coon Rapids Dam, a favorite park of ours. The kids have been to the park in utero, in stroller, and on foot. The park spans the Mississippi River, and of course goes over the Coon Rapids Dam. Yesterday we were crossing the dam, one parent to one toddler. Marly and Dean were each revelling in their own discoveries as they toddled along, watching other kids, bikes, dogs and the rushing water below, and feeling the wind on their cheeks. We got to one side, and began to cross back. As we walked, I said to Marly and Dean, "Please take each others hand now..... Now take Mommy's or Daddy's hand...." Both looked up at me and did exactly as I asked. I praised them and clearly they both felt very proud of following my directions as they grinned from ear to ear. We walked along slowly with their short legs setting the pace, being a perfect family unit, if only for a few minutes. Marly and Dean had on matching blue and pink Land's End fleeces. Their little hands happily gripped each others. They would look at each other and giggle. It was one of those times I wish someone else could have captured on camera for us. I have a vivid mental snapshot of our shadows in front of us... the four of us hand in hand. Marly and Dean were peanut butter and jelly, and Mark and were the sliced bread. It was a magical moment.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails