Monday, August 25, 2008

Family Filled Weekend & Contemplations....

We are back from Glenwood/Lake Minnewaska and Tracy's wedding. As a wedding attendee, the event seemed to go off with out a hitch (except my own kids making a ruckus during the service). Tracy looked beautiful and it was a fun few days. Mark even got to come back to the dance after he put M&D to bed at the townhome, because a relative's relative sat at our townhome until we got back later. (Did you follow that??) Lovely 19-year-old Ellie was staying at the townhome next door anyway, and was ready to leave the dance.

On Thursday, we were the first of any family to arrive at Peter's Resort and the resort was great. We had a town home next to Barb and Charlie's townhome, so we were in the middle of all the action and activity. Brett and Rachel arrived a short time later. Dad and Chris later that night. Relatives came and went through the weekend. Saturday after the wedding was a full day of family fun (despite the cool weather and high winds that kept everyone off the lake).

It was a delight to watch Marly and Dean toddle about with their second and third cousins of similar age. Third cousin/15 month old Sophie Hawkinson was a hit with M&D. She had a cool wagon along. I soaked up the family atmosphere. It was really neat to see everyone.

And then we headed home... and I had time to think. I live in the cities. Do we want to live in the cities? Why do we live in the cities? Because we work here, that's why. But why do I need to work here? (Yes, there are many wonderful opportunities at my fingertips here. Yes my friends are near and dear to me here!) But...is this the best place for Mark and me and Marly and Dean? Truly, I think about this often. I actually believe I pretty much had the perfect childhood. How do I give that to M & D in a suburban setting, away from the farm? How do I instill in them my idea of what family is, or give them what I had? I was raised not just by my parents, but rather by my family who was my community.

Mark tells me there is no way to give them what I had living in the cities, and of course I will never be a farmer! I struggle with this, and in the end, I just don't have an answer and not sure I ever will...

Life is a catch 22 perhaps...

3 comments:

britta said...

Sounds like a fun weekend!

I don't think it is where you live that matters, I think it is how you raise your children. Granted I live in a small town, but it does not define who I am, I am who I am because of how I was raised! I think you are raising M & D just great! :-)

See you soon...I may be at Gillette on Sept 9 or the 16, I will let you know so maybe we can meet up!

britta

Anonymous said...

It is funny that I was just talking about you to Katelyn and Kalvin tonight on the way home from my parents.

How long we have know each other and so on. I explained to them your mom and so on. They asked if they had ever met her and yes your mom did meet Katelyn.

Your kids will grow up having the best of both worlds.

Our door is always welcome to all of you.

You know I would love to have you back here. Lets do something soon!

Love Cindy

Jamie said...

The area you were in is beautiful. My family has a place on Lake Villard, just 8 miles out of Glenwood. We often leave that area thinking much the same thoughts!!!!! Its hard in the city, it just seems you have to shelter or protect your kids more because things are so busy, and there's so much risk for harm. Don't play in the street, there might be a car, don't go around the block on your bike, someone may take you. The list could go on! I think the thought of living in "the country" or farther from the city appeals to us most to give our kids a better chance with less restrictions!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails