Thursday, April 23, 2009

My Cousin Kris

I had the greatest childhood growing up surrounded by my fabulous cousins. Being from a small town and the farm, we all spent plenty of time together. My cousins were my friends, and remain so today (although distance and time make seeing each other difficult).

Anyway, naturally this includes my older cousin's Dee and Kris (the girls of my mom's only sister). Growing up, they were often over to our house helping to take care of Brett and I, or just hanging out with my mom.

We are all grown up now, and Kris has has lived in Fairmont for many years. I only see her a couple of times a year, yet know we will always be connected.

Kris was recently featured in the magazine called 'Womeninc' and there is a really neat write up about her. Her reflections on FAMILY brought a flood of memories back to me. She writes about my mom and grandparents, and it is simply lovely.

Here is a link! If you have a moment, and know Kris, my Mom, or the Toren's it is worth the read. You can also click on the icon/photo and it will enlarge.

Like Kris notes, I too have vivid memories of Saturday's at Grandpa and Grandma's. Mom, Brett, and I would head to Hector, pull into Toots and Jon's drive, beep the horn, and Kris, Dee and Toots would pile into the Caprice Classic and we would cruise to Bird Island. For full disclosure, I think I mostly ate rolls, fed Taffy the dog summer sausage, and didn't really clean anything. I bet Kris actually vacuumed or dusted or cleaned the toilet!

As for her comments on literature, she once read excerpts those books to Brett and I when we were kids and she came on vacation with our family to help entertain Brett and I Up North!

Thank you Kris for the wonderful way you honored your family. Congratulations on your successes. You are a special person who has played a special role in my life!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Andrea, One of my RN's at work saw this and showed it to me! I was going to scan it and send it to you but I see you already have it!! I thought it was a fun piece to read!!

Have a great rest of the week!!

Love,

Michelle

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails