Thursday, March 20, 2008

Easter, Lilies, and Memories

scroll to the bottom of this post for spring photos of Marly & Dean!

When I returned from my work trip to Orlando, an Easter Lily awaited my arrival. The wonderful and penetrating scent of each new bloom brings a flood of memories of my mom. She use to take care of the alter flowers at our small country church. At Easter, the two lilies for the alter stayed at our house until Easter morning because the church was too cold during the week. One Easter, not a single lily bloom was open the day before Easter. Mom heated the entry way with space heaters and turned on a humidifier in an attempt to coax them open. I recall her anxiety and stress in having chosen two plants which were not yet ready to blossom. I do NOT remember if she found success in her attempt to force them.

The lilies are just the beginning of my memories this season. I remember the beautiful dresses in delightful spring colors my mom made for me each Easter (and every season actually). Now that I understand the art of sewing as an adult, I realize she must have spent MANY, MANY hours on each dress (each of which had YARDS of ruffles).

I also remember we had an Easter Egg tree every year. It was a branch cut from outside and forced to leaf out in a big coffee can of sand with water. It was decorated in real egg shells which were embellished with fabric and ribbon.... I still have those eggs!

I am looking forward to this Easter and the renewal of life. Funny, I also remember the Lutheran Brotherhood Easter pop-up, paper displays which were distributed to kids and showed Jesus standing by the tomb with the stone rolled away. Any other Lutheran's out there remember those???

2 comments:

Mary in MN said...

Thanks for sharing those memories of your Mom, you were blessed to have such a dedicated Mother and friend :). Just saw that one of your favorite movies is "A River Runs Through It" and I almost can't watch that movie because it reminds me so much of my sister Jane and I.

britta said...

Ha! My dad use to work for Lutheran Brotherhood, but I am much too young to remember anything like that! Happy Belated Easter!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails