Monday, December 15, 2008

Gratitude - Day 22 & 23

I typically choose to share about the enjoyable, thankful, blessings in my life... or my reflections, or funny information, but I wouldn't be an honost blogger if I didn't share my personal hardships too. This weekend was a very difficult weekend for me. Mark has been working long hours and gets up very early. He is tired all the time. On Friday at 7 pm he told me he would be working all day on Saturday. Whatever plans I had for Saturday needed to be adjusted.

Sunday (Mark's only day off) the phone rang at 5 am. The supervisor had forgotten her keys. Most days, Mark opens to the store. Even if he is not scheduled, most mornings the phone rings at 4:30 am with an employee problem requiring his immediate attention. This is how Sunday began. It really didn't improve. We went to our church band Christmas concert. Marly had a melt down and disrupted the whole show (from the narthex). We had to leave. From there I tried to cook a nice meal. I stuffed and baked a chicken. The taste did not match the time and effort I put into it. My tiny home is in disarray most of the time. As soon as I pick up, I need to start over.... and then I feel like I am failing as a mother because I am lackluster at entertaining the Twinner during this whole process.

Add to that, I really wanted my MOM, and generally spent most of Sunday on the verge of tears. Wanting my mom is a lose, lose situation. I am 33 years old. I am a grown up. I have my own DAUGHTER (and son) who needs her mom...so it seems wrong to wallow for myself.

Day 22/Saturday - I am grateful for my girlfriend Jesse (and the telephone). I had been playing phone tag with her all week. Her birthday was Tuesday. I finally caught her on Saturday morning. She let me vent. She was excited to share with me she had "payed it forward" at the Caribou drive-thru just that morning. She had purchased her coffee drink, and kindly payed for the car behind her. Jesse is just that kind of wonderful human being. She gives kindly to her friends, her family and strangers. She is a delight to know and have in my life.

** We did attend Holidazzle, which was great. I am grateful for the fun outing on a balmy December evening. I will post seperately on another day**

Day 23/Sunday - Again I am grateful for the telephone. My girlfriend Dawn (on the east coast) called me at 8:30 pm. I needed to talk to a friend, and she was just the voice I hoped for on the other end of the line when the land line rang...

1 comment:

Mary in MN said...

Oh Andrea,
I totally feel your pain with the long work hours!! There was a really rough patch when we first moved here. The untreated depression had a lot to do with it LOL, but honestly, Tim was working such long hours and here I was with three little kids under the age of 5 AGHHH!!! It was pretty horrible for a while. But all good things must come to an end ha-ha, and it finally did. Praying for you!!! (and for Mark!!)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails